Please join us at NAPIPA's 2nd Annual Conference and 7th Annual Scholarship Banquet on September 17-18, 2021 at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina! (Events and rooms are at the Bay
Friday, September 17, 2021 (Conference)
Skilled prosecutors and speakers from across the country will present MCLE trainings to NAPIPA member prosecutors. (Not yet a member? No problem - click here to join for free!)
Full schedule to be released soon.
Chief Judge for the U.S. District Court, Southern District of California Dana Sabraw will be our plenary speaker.
Your $199 ticket will include all trainings on Friday AND a ticket to the scholarship banquet dinner on Saturday.
Saturday, September 18, 2021 (Banquet)
Please join us in cheering on the next generation of API prosecutors and leaders as we award deserving law students with scholarships!
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Judge, and former NAPIPA member, Patrick Bumatay will be our keynote speaker. San Diego District Attorney Summer Stephan will provide special
General Admission $125 (do not pay if you already purchased a ticket to the conference as your banquet ticket is included with the conference price)
Student Members $50 (click here to sign up for free)
NAPIPA’s discounted hotel group rate of $199/night at the Sheraton is available to you by contacting Sheraton’s Reservation Center at 1 888 236 2427.
Please mention you are booking as part of National Asian Pacific Islander Prosecutors Association
Or you can book online by putting the following in your browser:
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
1380 Harbor Island Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE TWO BUILDINGS AT THE SHERATON. OUR EVENTS AND THE HOTEL BLOCK ROOMS ARE IN THE BAY TOWER.
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 the only place in the world to be was the Crowne Plaza Foster City!
We held out First NAPIPA Conference which featured three MCLE panels, job interviews with various prosecution offices across the country, and the evening finished with our
6th Annual Scholarship Banquet.
Our panels were co-sponsored by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) and the California District Attorneys Association (CDAA). Thank you
to both organizations!
After a cocktail hour where attendees spent time meeting each other, getting photo booth pictures, and checking out the silent auction items, the doors
to the grand ballroom opened for the 6th Annual Scholarship Banquet, entitled "Empowering the Community Through Representation & Inclusion"!
- Emcee Janelle Wang (Anchor, NBC Bay Area) charmed the audience with her wit and personality.
- National President Paul Jhin cracked up the crowd of 210 with a humorous PowerPoint speech dealing with API representation in
the legal profession and Hollywood.
- Alameda District Attorney & CDAA President Nancy O'Malley was scheduled to speak but wasn't feeling well so Nor Cal Board member
& Alameda DDA Nancy Tung ably pinch hit for her.
- NAPIPA Foundation CEO Charles Huang introduced keynote speaker Tim Kawakami (Editor in chief, The Athletic SF)
who wowed the room with stories about being an API sports journalist, his thoughts on the NBA and China, and whether he believed Colin Kaepernick was blackballed from the NFL.
- NAPIPA Nor Cal President Johnny Gogo presented his good friend, newly promoted Chief Assistant District Attorney Jeff
Mangar the NAPIPA Prosecutor of the Year Award.
- NAPIPA member and Santa Clara DDA Alaleh Kianerci, the prosecutor in the Brock Turner rape trial, talked about the case and the
diversity of the team that helped convict Mr. Turner. She then introduced a video of author Chanel Miller, who was honored with the NAPIPA Courage Award. (Her video
acceptance is posted below in 3 parts.)
- Chicago Chapter President Christina Kye gave NAPIPA Scholarships for Justice awards of $1500 each plus KAPLAN
bar review courses worth $2000 each to: Vincent Choi, Stephanie Dong, and Olivia Zhu. Congratulations, Vincent, Stephanie, and Olivia - no pressure but 12 of the 15 prior NAPIPA
scholarship winners are currently working in prosecutors' offices!
- After the banquet, NAPIPA members flocked to 840 Wine Bar in Redwood City for some refreshments.
It was a great day filled with education, inspiration, and fun. We hope to see you all next year!